Developed by: Fox & Sheep
A songbook and sound studio, we love this app for its promotion of creativity and play, charming animations, and abundant and surprising interactions!
Prepare to use the app by introducing one of these activities.
- Vocal Warm-up. Sing some of your favorite songs together with your child. Are any of them included in Little Fox Music Box? Perhaps you can record one in the music studio!
- Storytime. Read a book about a fox, such as The Fox Went Out on a Chilly Night, which is about a fox and is also based on a song!
Help your child get the most out of an app experience by trying the following activities.
- Customize. Each of the three songs includes the option to record up to ten versions. Have your child sing along and record it. Practice first if they cannot yet read the lyrics. Then have them create their own lyrics to the same tune and record that version. How many different versions can they come up with? Share them with grandparents or friends by e-mailing the sound files (which you can do by clicking on the eighth notes next to the recording button and then using the envelope icon). Try recording all three songs over time, as well as new versions of each one!
- Old MacDonald’s Seasons. In Old MacDonald, your child can change the season and see the farm in spring, summer, fall, and winter. Ask them to pay attention to how the farm changes. What grows in the garden? How do the cow and donkey interact? Extend this activity by visiting your local library (or better yet, a local farm!) to learn about how a real working farm changes with each season. Are there different crops in different seasons? How does animal care change? What do the farmers do that is unique to spring? Summer? Fall? Winter? What season might be the most challenging?
- Storytelling. The Little Fox's music studio (a tree house) provides an enticing setting and some ready-made characters (a motherly fox out back, frogs, birds, spiders…) for a story! Ask your child to write or tell you a story about Little Fox. How did he come to love music so much? What is one adventure that he has? Does he have any hobbies or jobs outside of his music studio?
Extend the app experience with one of these real life activities.
- Music Studio. Little Fox’s music studio is full of sounds made by animals and every day objects. Help your child create their own music studio by gathering objects from around your house and yard: tin cans, ladles, pots and pans, bottles and/or glasses filled with different levels of liquid, metal and wooden spoons and spatulas, etc. You can even recreate the slurping mouse by putting a little water or milk in a glass with a straw and giving your child the opportunity to blow bubbles! Get out your recording device, and record your child’s sound and music experiments. Remind them they can always sing along, too!
- Dance. Dance and music go hand in hand. Encourage your child to create dances to go along with the three songs in the app and/or other favorite songs. Then have a little performance!
- Around the Globe. Evening Song is a translation of a German song and poem by Matthias Claudius. What other songs or stories do you know that originated in another country? Frère Jacques? Fairytales by the Brothers Grimm? Learn some new nursery rhymes from around the world!