Developed by: Grids Interactive
The Truly Great Noodle is a really enjoyable reading experience. The graphics and animations are visually appealing and the interactive features will keep young readers engaged throughout the story. Kids will love seeing Nate tackle a truly great noodle and can read along with the narrator, or record themselves reading the text.
Prepare to use this app by using either of the following activities:
- Wait, is that for real? This book is a really entertaining fantasy – it includes many things that can’t possibly happen in real life. Have a discussion with your child about the characteristics of this genre and have them tell you about other events that have happened in stories they’ve read that can’t possibly happen in real life. Have fun recalling how silly some of those events were.
- Rhyming Words: This book contains tons of fun rhyming words. How many rhyming words can your child think of? Have fun challenging them to jot down as many as possible.
Help your child get the most out of this app experience by trying either of the following activities:
- Detective Work: As your child reads the book or is listening to the story, have them hunt for rhyming words. Come up with something fun to do each time they hear a rhyming word like clap, snap or make a silly sound.
- So many settings! There are many different settings in this story. Have your child notice each time the setting changes and jot a quick drawing of each along the way. After they are done reading the story, they will have a story map to look back at. This can help them summarize the text and facilitate more discussion about the book. Or, they can have fun adding more illustrations to and coloring their story map.
Extend your child’s learning by using any of the following activities:
- The Truly Great Meatball: The story ends with a huge meatball outside of Nate’s house! How would this story go? Have your child write their own sequel to The Truly Great Noodle.
- It feels great to give! Proceeds of the purchase of this app go to the Kids Against Hunger Organization. Read the “Giving” portion with your child. Explore their website. Talk to your child about other ways to help fight hunger, or issues they might see in their own community. How can they help? Empower them to know that their age doesn't matter; they CAN make a difference in the world!
- Get in the kitchen! Spend time making spaghetti and meatballs together. Teach your child how to read a recipe, gather the ingredients, etc. Enjoy a family meal together and have fun recalling Nate’s adventure with the Truly Great Noodle. Don’t feel like cooking tonight? Go out and enjoy spaghetti and meatballs, just don’t forget to make connections to the book!