5 Favorite Articles on Education, Tech, and Parenting
- Take a look at these impressive White House Science Fair projects, including one from a team of five Girl Scout Brownies!
- If dads want their daughters to pursue certain careers, they'd better get to cooking and cleaning, a new study suggests.
- This week, we lost the inspirational Maya Angelou. We love these heartwarming videos of children reciting her poetry.
- Yesterday was 5/29 aka 529 college savings day. Here are some excellent tips to help you save for your kids' college education.
- Here are 5 steps to finding bliss with kids and video games.
App of the Week: Comics
Our curator Josia says, "Long gone are the days when comics lacked 'literary' content, and parents like me, who once cut their teeth on a couple of X-men books a month, will be amazed how this app gives users access to an incredible array of styles and genres, from superheroes to teen dramas to historical fiction. Best of all is the rotating selection of dozens of free titles - they're there to get you hooked, of course, but they still represent many hours of reading, and their diversity can draw young readers out of the black hole of crime-fighting series. The images, both in color and detail, look superb through the app. Parents need to note that there is a lot of mature content (violence, sex, adult themes) available - it will be necessary to monitor both the content and the cost of purchases through the app." Here it is in our Zoobean App Library.
Book of the Week: Lottie Paris Lives Here
Our curator Mary says, "It's so great to see a title that has a main character of color and speaks to the desire of little girls everywhere to embrace pink and sparkly. Lottie Paris Lives Here does just that, by bringing young readers a girl who's sparky and irrepressible, and who has a style all her own (love those hats!). Lottie also has a great relationship with her grandfather, making this title work on even more levels as an intergenerational tale. My son and I adore Lottie Paris!" Here it is in our Zoobean Book Library.