Teaching empathy and the second digital divide are on this week's list. Thanks for all of the recommended reading this week, I appreciate the tips!
5 Top Picks in Parenting, Education, and Tech
- We may *want* our kids to be more focused on empathy than achievement, but according to a new study, the messages we send our kids tell them (and teach them) otherwise.
- The American Academy of Pediatrics officially made a recommendation this week for pediatricians to counsel families on the importance of engaging in reading activities with children, starting at birth.
- Little kids with stronger bonds to their parents are more likely to make better friends and adapt in difficult relationships.
- Is educational technology making the achievement gap bigger, not smaller? This explanation of what some call the "second digital divide," is thought-provoking and well worth the read.
- What can kids learn from a water balloon fight? Check out this deep dive into the importance of learning resilience and responding in the moment through play.
By the way...we are in Vegas for #ALA14. Know a librarian? Suggest a visit to the Zoobean booth!