This week, we have a number of articles about dads. I'm really grateful for Zoobean's Chief Dad, my husband Felix. At last night's #DadsRead Twitter party, we asked folks to complete the sentence, "I read to my kids because ____." I loved his answer. "I read to my kids because I'm their dad." Exactly. Enjoy our picks, and for those celebrating, have a wonderful Father's Day weekend!
5 Favorite Picks from Parenting and Education
- Roughhousing with kids is important for their development, and dads tend to play this way more often. This article looks at physical play and explains some scientists' attempts to measure a "father factor" in kids' lives.
- We get tons of questions about toddler language development. I love this article that lays out basic guidelines, but reminds us that there are no "normal" toddlers. I guess we already knew that, huh?
- Dads are more involved in kids' lives than ever, which is why I love this piece about things they do that we don't usually see in popular media, and this video that captures real dad moments (and is a total tearjerker).
- New studies show that kids who catch us not telling the whole truth, or omitting important information, may not trust us in the future.
- We love these 25 books to diversify kids' reading lists this summer.